Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bon Jovi - Influenced my life - Teenager



By August of 1987, I was settled into Gallatin, Tennessee, enrolled into the local Junior High School, which was
for grades 7 and 8. I remember how mom had to fi ght to get us both enrolled as she did not have our previous
school records, and our safety was her top concern. My sister would be attending a diff erent school, that ended
with 6th grade, in the same district. I had a fun summer. I never fully understood what it meant to be a foster
child. I was one of my cousin’s foster kids. Even though mom, had moved to Gallatin, she was not taking care of
me, my cousin was. I saw mom a few times. My older cousin, and I became fast friends, sharing a love for the
music of Bon Jovi and boys. We used to strap on our roller skates, and choreograph routines to songs off 7800
Degrees Fahrenheit and Slippery When Wet. I remember fondly, skating around the patio for hours in the hot
summer sun, doing our silly dance moves for “Living on a Prayer, King of the Mountain, Bad Name, and Wild in
the Streets.” Mom fl ew to Oregon to pick my sister up and bring her to Tennessee. We lived there for almost one
year almost. My sister got a strange package from our step father just aft er her 13th birthday.
Pictures of Christy Peak and I hanging out
In the package, were 2 broken glass unicorns. Somehow he had found us. It had frightened my mother, and the
two of us. Mom decided aft er we had moved, that it would be ok if we wanted to contact our father again. We
started out by trying to fi nd him, and found our Uncle Charlie, who still lived in the same house in Newport
News, Virginia. Mom made that very hard phone call and explained the situation. We were welcomed and
missed by dad’s side of the family. Mom had rules in place for both of us. No one could pick us up from school
without her being notifi ed. My father however come out to visit my sister and I for our birthday in February,
1987. He had a note written from mom, that he had permission to pick both of us up from school. She was to be
contacted no matter what. Th e schools both called mom and she verifi ed that he had permission.
Aft er receiving the package, however, Mom called grandma, and asked her if she needed help. We were then
moving to Oregon, at the end of April 1988. I remember aft er Mom received that package, I put on “Secret
Dreams” and just hoped against hope, that I would not have to move. I was happy where I was. I did not want
to leave my friends or my school. I was enjoying being “Wild In Th e Streets” with my friends, and I really didn’t
Page 13
want to have say goodbye. I was just as excited. I wanted to see Bon Jovi when they came to town.
My time in Gallatin Junior High School was fun. I remember being in Brazel’s mini school. My fi rst kiss, was
snuck under the patio at home, wearing my white, Bon Jovi T-shirt, with I believe, “Never Say Goodbye,” playing
on the radio. I attended a couple of dances, learned and honed my skills playing fl ute. I fought my way up to
fi rst chair out of 10 fl utes. I loved my pre-algebra class, but hated biology. I loved my literature classes. I was in
advanced classes and very challenged. I also learned to love writing and began to hone a style of my own.
New Jersey was released in 1988. I loved this record. Th ere is not a bad song on this entire album. To this day it is
one of my all time favorites. I’ve bought at least 10 copies, from cassettes, to CD’s to now MP3. It’s on my Iphone
currently. I was given to me in honor of our move, and to appease me because I could not see Bon Jovi perform
live in Nashville, as they were there the night aft er we began driving to Oregon. My dreams were shattered. I lost
all my friends. I was terrifi ed about starting over again, in a new school, in a town called Bonanza, let the jokes
roll now.
I found courage on this trip across the United States. I listened to “Secret Dreams, Silent Night.” Mom liked
King of the Mountain, Bad Name, Wanted Dead or Alive, I’d Die For You, Without Love, Wild in the Streets”, and
Never Say Goodbye”, but she hated “Social Disease.” New Jersey, I love every song on this record. But for that trip,
Wild is the Wind, Stick to you Guns, Bad Medicine, Born to Be, Lay Your Hands on Me,” all gave me courage,
strength an something to believe in.
In 1990, I was a freshman in high school, Jon Bon Jovi released Blaze of Glory, when I heard that on the radio I
swear it was the whole group but I learned later, it was just Jon, solo. I was very isolated in Bonanza. Cable TV
consisted of ABC,NBC, CBS, PBS, TBS, and WGN. I didn’t have MTV. All the radio stations were primarily
country music. I was in total isolation from everything I really liked. I had made some friends, but I wasn’t
invited to hang out. I rarely did the slumber party / birthday parties scene at all. I wasn’t a drinker, and I didn’t
smoke.
I love “Blaze of Glory” and “Miracle” because I needed a miracle to get me through the tough times and to start
being accepted by my classmates. It’s tough being an outsider. It was terrible being teased because of how I
talked. Th ey used to make me spell my last name, and laugh when I would say the d, or “yall” or soda instead of
pop.
Richie Sambora’s solo album, Stranger in Th is Town, released around 1991. I love that title song,”Stranger In Th is
Town”. It fi t me in high school. I made friends but I never really hung out or got invited to do anything. Mostly,
I could hold my own and we would talk but I was always last man standing when teams were chosen and that
kind of thing. Meanwhile, I had broken up with my fi rst boyfriend. I got tired of getting into trouble because
he’d bring me home late from dates. He would just come over without asking fi rst that kind of thing. I was 16 and
he was 19, mom didn’t like that much. “Bad Medicine” really helped with that decision. I know it was the right
thing to do. I was able to be a cheerleader for 1 year, my sophomore year, 1990-1991.




In the package, were 2 broken glass unicorns. Somehow he had found us. It had frightened my mother, and the
two of us. Mom decided aft er we had moved, that it would be ok if we wanted to contact our father again. We
started out by trying to fi nd him, and found our Uncle Charlie, who still lived in the same house in Newport
News, Virginia. Mom made that very hard phone call and explained the situation. We were welcomed and
missed by dad’s side of the family. Mom had rules in place for both of us. No one could pick us up from school
without her being notifi ed. My father however come out to visit my sister and I for our birthday in February,
1987. He had a note written from mom, that he had permission to pick both of us up from school. She was to be
contacted no matter what. Th e schools both called mom and she verifi ed that he had permission.
Aft er receiving the package, however, Mom called grandma, and asked her if she needed help. We were then
moving to Oregon, at the end of April 1988. I remember aft er Mom received that package, I put on “Secret
Dreams” and just hoped against hope, that I would not have to move. I was happy where I was. I did not want
to leave my friends or my school. I was enjoying being “Wild In Th e Streets” with my friends, and I really didn’t want to have say goodbye. I was just as excited. I wanted to see Bon Jovi when they came to town.
My time in Gallatin Junior High School was fun. I remember being in Brazel’s mini school. My fi rst kiss, was snuck under the patio at home, wearing my white, Bon Jovi T-shirt, with I believe, “Never Say Goodbye,” playing on the radio. I attended a couple of dances, learned and honed my skills playing fl ute. I fought my way up to first chair out of 10 flutes. I loved my pre-algebra class, but hated biology. I loved my literature classes. I was in advanced classes and very challenged. I also learned to love writing and began to hone a style of my own. New Jersey was released in 1988. I loved this record. Th ere is not a bad song on this entire album. To this day it is one of my all time favorites. I’ve bought at least 10 copies, from cassettes, to CD’s to now  MP3. It’s on my Iphone currently. I was given to me in honor of our move, and to appease me because I could not see Bon Jovi perform live in Nashville, as they were there the night aft er we began driving to Oregon. My dreams were shattered. I lost all my friends. I was terrified about starting over again, in a new school, in a town called Bonanza, let the jokes roll now.
I found courage on this trip across the United States. I listened to “Secret Dreams, Silent Night.” Mom liked King of the Mountain, Bad Name, Wanted Dead or Alive, I’d Die For You, Without Love, Wild in the Streets”, and Never Say Goodbye”, but she hated “Social Disease.” New Jersey, I love every song on this record. But for that trip, Wild is the Wind, Stick to you Guns, Bad Medicine, Born to Be, Lay Your Hands on Me,” all gave me courage, strength and something to believe in.
In 1990, I was a freshman in high school, Jon Bon Jovi released Blaze of Glory, when I heard that on the radio I swear it was the whole group but I learned later, it was just Jon, solo. I was very isolated in Bonanza. Cable TV consisted of ABC,NBC, CBS, PBS, TBS, and WGN. I didn’t have MTV. All the radio stations were primarily country music. I was in total isolation from everything I really liked. I had made some friends, but I wasn’t invited to hang out. I rarely did the slumber party / birthday parties scene at all. I wasn’t a drinker, and I didn’t smoke.
I love “Blaze of Glory” and “Miracle” because I needed a miracle to get me through the tough times and to start being accepted by my classmates. It’s tough being an outsider. It was terrible being teased because of how I talked. They used to make me spell my last name, and laugh when I would say the d, or “yall” or soda instead of pop.
Richie Sambora’s solo album, Stranger in Th is Town, released around 1991. I love that title song,”Stranger In This Town”. It fi t me in high school. I made friends but I never really hung out or got invited to do anything. Mostly,I could hold my own and we would talk but I was always last man standing when teams were chosen and that kind of thing. Meanwhile, I had broken up with my first boyfriend. I got tired of getting into trouble because he’d bring me home late from dates. He would just come over without asking first that kind of thing. I was 16 and he was 19, mom didn’t like that much. “Bad Medicine” really helped with that decision. I know it was the right thing to do. I was able to be a cheerleader for 1 year, my sophomore year, 1990-1991.

In December 1991, our student body president was killed in a freak car accident. He was missing for several days before they were even able to find his truck. We lived in an isolated area, lots of land, minimal population. It was winter, so there was snow and ice, plus the deer. You really have to watch out for. Anyhow, he died in a roll over accident. He was just 17 years old.
I really liked and respected this guy. I knew his brothers and sisters pretty well. He was a year a head of me, so he was a junior. Th at was hard to get through, especially in town as small as Bonanza. We were friends. I respected him. Bon Jovi pulls me through another depression. I mean, “Living on a Prayer, Wanted and Never Say Good Bye, Stick to Your Guns, and Blood on Blood,” all helped me realize that while he may be gone from the physical world, he’ll always be in my heart.
All Bon Jovi songs are a source of inspiration for me. I made the National Honor Society my sophomore year. I was finally a cheerleader. I earned two varsity letters for cheerleader, 4 Varsity letters for Pep Band, I also lettered in Football and Basket Ball for stats. I earned numerous academic achievement awards. I was an outcast of my class. I was friendly, just not friends. I have a few people I am still close too from those days, who actually bothered to get to know me, and we still speak. I’ve changed as I’ve gotten older, and understand where they come from and forgiven them all for the hurt they caused me.
When the fall of 1992 rolls around. I have my third boyfriend. He’s a freshman but only a two years in age behind me. I was 19, my senior year, and Keep the Faith came out. I love this record, it’s by far one of my favorites.
Keep the Faith, I graduated 6th of out 36, with honors. I was honored to be selected to participate in the Pacific Northwest Music festival, two years running.(Junior and senior year.) I had been nominated, and accepted into the festival. I had to audition to see what parts I would be playing. I played first flute, with about 4 other people
from the Pacific Northwest. It was an amazing experience. I would never have made it if I hadn’t had Bon Jovi for my inspiration. Th e music saying believe in yourself, you can do it, keep reaching and you will see your dreams
come true. I was only able to attend the concert once, because of weather conditions my senior year. We had a blizzard the weekend the concert was, and it was in Tacoma, Washington, which was 16 hours away. I had no way of getting there.
Bed of Roses”, was my senior prom theme, barely, we had to convince the principal this lyric “there’s a bottle of Vodka still running around my head” was ok, and just being used as an expression. He tried to ban the song because of that one word. Well it didn’t work. Th e students banded together and said it wasn’t encouraging us to drink.

Prom Photo
I graduated in June 1993, and in April of that year,my grandparents had just moved back to Nashville,Tennessee,which is where they were from originally. Mom, Michelle and I are left in Oregon. We weren’t moving again. My father came out for my graduation.


Th e fi rst time I had seen him in 6 years. He promised my sister that he would come out for her graduation next year. She was a year behind me. I was given plane tickets to come to Virginia, as my graduation gift , so I could spend some time with that side of the family. I hadn’t been there since 1984. I was very uncertain about it. My paternal grandmother sent my sister a plane ticket so that we could go together. Since we were both adults, we made the decision to accept, on the condition, that we wouldn’t go anywhere near King and Queen, Virginia. We did not want to risk seeing our former stepfather and stepsister. Mom said under no circumstances, were we to give out any personal information if we should run into him at all. Be polite but don’t tell him anything at all about her. I was a little scared to go back. I didn’t want to risk seeing him, but I did want to see my uncles and cousins and my now 80 year old grandmother.
That trip, was so much fun. My half sister graduated from the 6th grade, and was 12 at the time. I was 19, my sister was 18. Little did we know It would be the last time, the family would be together again. It was such fun having all my cousins like when we were young 8,9 years old, hanging out together at grandma’s house. Little did I know how much my life was about to change. I was an adult, facing a new world. I was going off to college in the fall. It was my last summer to be footloose and free. I had so many dreams, some “Secret Dreams., Keeping the Faith, and Fear” but I know that all I had to do was believe.




No comments:

Post a Comment